Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Question #3

My 3rd question comes from Sami's mom Lisette. She asked how did you and your husband meet? How has he changed your life?

This is a long one, but I will keep it as short as possible. I was working in a rural hospital here in Utah. I was a single mom at the time and one of my patients came in to deliver a baby. She to was a single mom, so we hit it off. I had been divorced for about a year by then, so I was ready to start dating again. She introduced me to a guy that was from the same town as Juan. We dated some and it was nice to just get out and experience life again. Through some of the gatherings I had seen Juan, but never noticed him as a potential boyfriend. He was just getting out of a 4yr relationship and was pretty torn up. I had enough baggage, so I stayed clear! About 4 months later we all decided to go Latin Dancing. Juan lived about 2 hrs away from our small town in "the big city" so we chose his house as the meeting place before heading out for a night of dancing. I was sitting on the couch by my friend when Juan walked through the front door. He worked construction, so he was dirty and covered in cement. It was so funny, because he came through the door stopped and turned towards me and just started. He never said a word. Just stared at me. When he finally broke his gaze and left to go shower I leaned over to my friend and told her that someday I was going to marry him. She thought I was crazy! Dancing was a blast. I danced with several of the guys, but every time Juan asked me to dance you could just feel the chemistry between us. Fast forward a month to our first official date on Jan. 5th. We knew there was going to be something special between us, but we never knew how quickly it would grow. We of course did the long distance dating thing. I would come up to his house or he would come down to mine on the weekends. We spent hours talking on the phone and there were weeks that I couldn't stand it, so I would drive the 2hr drive in about 1 1/2 hrs to just see him for the evening. I would have to get up early the next morning and drive back down to go to class, but it was worth it. Five months after our first date we were married!!! I finished my associates degree and moved up to the big city to be with him. I wish I could say and we lived HAPPILY EVER AFTER..... But we have had some very sad times in our marriage. One thing I do know though we have lived very madly in love the last 10 years!

Now for the second part of the question...... I don't know if I can say Juan has changed me, but I think we have changed as a couple. We almost function as 1 rather than 2 separate people. We are always there for each other regardless of the situation. We have been through some really rough times together and there may be times that I don't think we will ever be able to pull through and then somehow we do and we are so much closer and stronger for it. We have evolved so much over the past ten years and I am so thankful I have him by my side each and every day!!!

4 comments:

  1. Aaagghh how sweet!!! I am so glad that you have found such a wonderful love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's neat how you knew you were going to marry him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat story! Five months after!!! See..there IS love at first sight!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great story. I love it !!

    Caroline

    ReplyDelete